Monday, March 12, 2012

STIR FRIED BEEF





                                         STIR FRIED BEEF






 My first  meeting with  Chinese food  was  at the  Chinese restaurant  at Taksim in Istanbul in 1970s. Owner of the restaurant was Uyghur, Turk who moved to Turkey  from China. It was a small restaurant , there were only 10-12 tables and simple decoration. But food was delicious and  price was reasonable.  My boy friend ( my present husband) and I could eat  often there  with our pocket money  as university students.
After him the restaurant ran by his son. He improved the business, they moved larger  and well decorated place .The taste of food never changed, always good. We continued to go there  as a family. When my sons grown up enough I brought them too. My sons  loved Chinese food and learned to eat with chopsticks. Everybody in my family have good memories about this restaurant. I couldn't finish my article without mentioning the chef waiter who worked there long years. He was so kind and  an expert. Unfortunately it closed down years ago. It  couldn't compete the other luxury restaurants which open later.
I learned this recipe from them.... the original name is  JUN BAO JIO. Hope you will like it...

INGREDIENTS
500g 1 lb sirloin beef steak, slice into thin strips
2 medium onion, roughly sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium carrot, grated
2 Tablespoon corn flour -corn starch
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon wine vinegar
1 teaspoon powder chili
2Tablespoons dark soy sauce

PREPARATION

Slice beef into thin strips, mix corn flour and water add beef stripes. Mix well and stand 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a wok (Chinese stir fry pan) or a heavy pan add beef stripes. Stir fry until meat changes color. Add  grated carrot and onion. Continue to stirring. When meat is tender add ketchup , vinegar and soy sauce. Stir fry further 3-4 minutes. If needs add salt. Serve with egg noodle or plain rice. 







No comments:

Post a Comment