Tuesday, March 6, 2012

OKRA WİTH OLIVE OIL


 
 
 
OKRA WITH
OLIVE OIL
 
 



In Turkish cuisine there are many vegetable dishes which  cook with olive oil and eaten as  cold dish. Traditionally we eat them as a last course after main course. They are not cold starters (meze) just ordinary daily food for us. You  can make them with any fresh  summer and winter vegetables.
Since I have known myself there were always  vegetable with olive oil on our table. This kind of dish is eaten mostly West of Turkey and Mediterranean region where the olive tree grows.
I am going to  give you okra recipe today.  I have different relation with okra. When I was a kid I hate it. Now I love it. They say our taste bud is changing when we get older. I  think it is true. This is a very good example.
 The trick about vegetable with olive oil  is ,  adding 1-2 teaspoon sugar  into them.

INGREDIENTS:
500g- 1lb okra  , fresh or frozen
2 big tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced (optional)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2  teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup olive oil


PREPARATION
Rinse the okra , drain and let it dry. Trim the top end with sharp knife to leave a cone shape head. This process is important if you cut all it becomes ropy.
Place okra into a saucepan add onion , tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and sugar. Cover tightly. Let it boil and turn of the heat low. Cook 10 min or until okra is tender. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment